Welcome

Considering how prevalent mental illness is, why do so few bloggers talk about it?

The aim of this blog is to write about my experience with mental illness, developments in my life as well as issues in the field of mental health all the while keeping a feminist framework.

I hope you can take something from this blog, whatever that may be.

Saturday, July 25, 2009

Senior depression

I have a complicated relationship with my grandparents. I love them to the very depths of my heart. COming from a family that never lived near relatives 'family' equalled my parents and sibling... when I had no family near they came to represent 'family' and I continue to see them this way. They could love me in such a silent yet powerful way it still brings tears to my eyes.

When my Grandpa died in December I was crushed. I still am crushed. Added to that I am concerned with my Grandma's mental health. When months after his dealth she suddenly stopped washing her hair and would go back to bed during the day I was worried. it was like she finally gave in to those feelings.
Now she is in an assisted living apartment - which is good for her low mobility - but I still worry. How do I talk to her about it? If a friend seemed to be depressed I like to think I would intervene... but I dont think I can do this for my Grandma. Maybe I am worried about upsetting her because mental illness is very taboo for her generation, maybe im afraid of the potential awkwardness or even anger that could result... but I think I am so hesitant because if I talk to her about it... It becomes real. I cannot deny this health problem. My absolute desperation to keep her safe in my world is threatened by talking about it.
Our relationship is very complicated. I am finding ways to work with what I can do (emotionally) to reach the same goals. Now when I have time at work, I write and send her hand written letters. We live in the same city, but I like to imagine her reading them and its like we are spending that quality time together without all the worries I have, some how they are just not present... they are not invited to the paper party!
Senior depression is a very important topic because of how widespread it is and the high suicide rate. I feel assured that living with others will really help now that grandpa is gone. Plus I have a feeling grandpa is there with her, he wouldnt want to miss out on all the people he could joke around with!
posted 9:03

No comments:

Post a Comment