Welcome

Considering how prevalent mental illness is, why do so few bloggers talk about it?

The aim of this blog is to write about my experience with mental illness, developments in my life as well as issues in the field of mental health all the while keeping a feminist framework.

I hope you can take something from this blog, whatever that may be.

Saturday, July 25, 2009

Crazy: reclaiming or just insensitive?

I have always thought that one has the right to identify with any term he or she wishes. Sometimes I can identify with the term "crazy". On my site I use it right in the name of my blog. That was a choice mainly because I know that there will be some insensitive jackass who thinks it is funny to send hate mail (Bitter? Moi?) and I wanted to claim that word as my own before someone tried to use it against me. Plus, I think it is a great way of standing firm in solidarity with myself, giving myself the credit I am due for what I have gone through and continue to deal with. (its a weird way of doing it but it works for me)
So while this is my choice, as it is the choice of all individuals, I think it is important to ask "why do we identify with those terms?"
There is part of me that knows that I am not 'normal' (see post below for my thoughts on the word "normal") and therefore feel as if I am crazy: I act and think different have different emotional needs (read: I do not have the 'normal' thoughts and moods). But why can I not just see myself as 'different'. I guess I have learned that it is very negative to be abnormal; crazy becomes the term used to denote different AND bad.
I guess what I am trying to say is: while I use and can identity with the term 'crazy' in a positive and motivating way, there remains the part of me that uses it against myself because of the internalized stigma of mental illness I feel from society.

No comments:

Post a Comment