Welcome

Considering how prevalent mental illness is, why do so few bloggers talk about it?

The aim of this blog is to write about my experience with mental illness, developments in my life as well as issues in the field of mental health all the while keeping a feminist framework.

I hope you can take something from this blog, whatever that may be.

Saturday, July 25, 2009

drugs.. the 'good' kind

As mentioned, this is my longest episode of depression to date. 13 months far exceeds my other stints (6-8 months on average). This is also the first time I have even done the psychotherapy + drugs route. currently I am still on the drugs and they are still being adjusted but I have stopped going to therapy. It was good that I had it to get me through the worst of it (It is very good that I had someone professional at that time) but i have in a sense given up on it for now. Ive been to a lot of therapy and it has helped me to communicate and be aware of myself much better but I think ive reached its maximum benefits.
Currently I am on two kinds of anti-depressants, an anti-convulsant (used to treat bipolar though in this case hypomania) and an antipsychotic (in this case for mood and hypomania). I have decided to switch the antipsychotic becuase it is like I have taken a heavy sleeping pill when I have one of those.
My drugs are always fluxuating, and while im glad to have a psychiatrist who specializes in this, at the same time I am like "can you make up your mind already and give me somethng that works?"
I have a lot more familiarity with the self medication that is fast acting! but more on that later

posted 7:31

No comments:

Post a Comment