Welcome

Considering how prevalent mental illness is, why do so few bloggers talk about it?

The aim of this blog is to write about my experience with mental illness, developments in my life as well as issues in the field of mental health all the while keeping a feminist framework.

I hope you can take something from this blog, whatever that may be.

Friday, August 14, 2009

Oh I can really feel the effects of these drugs... well just the side effects

So Im trying out a second anti-psychotic trying to control my hypomania. Not going so well. In fact, I should mention that if this post doesnt make much sense its because im drowsy, groggy and generally a little confused.
I now understand why so many people with mental illnesses go off their medication. Having suffered from only moderate depression (compared to those who are hospitalized with severe symptoms) I havent had to take ridiculously high levels of any drug. Now that I am on this cocktail of drugs Ive been blessed (sarcasm) with a plethora of side effects. Not only do I have no sex drive I have dry mouth (which caused 4, count them 4, cavities), headaches, dizziness and other effects I cannot remember at the moment. Now I can add drowsiness and a general feeling of confusion and out-of-it-ness (okay i know thats not a word, but it does describe how i feel!)
Considering I can have these new symptoms OR be hypomanic, I choose the latter! (Well at least until i can get back to my doc at the beginning of next month.) I know that I need to deal with my up swings to ensure these swings do not get any worse, but this experience sure has given me the experience needed to understand why people in manic stages often do not take their meds.

No comments:

Post a Comment